The general awareness of open governance principles and knowledge of different e-engagement models and tools used in Estonia and elsewhere was raised in three pilot cities (Kutaisi, Batumi and Akhaltsikhe) and other institutions involved in project activities.
The most remarkable achievement of the project was, that a platform similar to the Estonian VOLIS was adjusted to the Georgian context and is now operational. In addition, Kutaisi and Akhaltsikhe piloted participatory budgeting using the VOLIS system. These two pilot projects attracted a lot of attention in Georgia and hopefully gave a new boost to Georgia’s local democracy.
Moreover, concept notes and terms of references for new e-inclusion solutions were developed for the Georgian Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Health.
A video recap of the project:
The project includes following activities:
1. Setting up a new electronic system for facilitating involvement of citizens in local decision-making processes in each of the three pilot cities. The main aim of the system is to speed up communications with citizens, promote transparency, and allow for improved decision-making and service-delivery.
2. Improve e-transparency and electronic participation in three pilot cities by creating new websites for the Kutaisi, Batumi and Akhaltsikhe municipalities.
3. Development of Participatory Budgeting Mechanisms (procedures, tools) of the Local Budget for Kutaisi, Batumi and Akhaltsikhe. The main objectives of this activity are effective elaboration of the local budget, increased public awareness and understanding of Budgetary processes and improved mechanisms for public engagement in discussions on draft budget. As a part of the process, the experiment of Participatory Budgeting using new approaches and technical tools will be carried out.
4. Assess the current Patients´ Portal launched by Ministry of Health Ministry of Labour Health and Social Affairs (MoLSHA) and develop a concept note (including an international best practice analysis) and terms of reference for a renewed version of the portal.
5. Assess the current participatory budgeting tool of the Ministry of Finance of Georgia and create a Concept note and ToR for a new online tool.