Open Government Partnership in local governments
The main goal of the project was to increase the awareness and capability of Estonian local governments for implementing open, transparent and engaging governance.
To attain this goal we created and activated a network of front rank local governments who, in close cooperation with local civic organizations, elaborated certain principles of open government for local governments and designed concrete action plans based on them. The concrete activities of open governance were included into the action plans of 8 local governments and their implementation has been started.
As a summing up activity the international forum of Open Government Partnership for Local Governments took place where all participated local governments and also international partners, guests shared their experiences and practices.
The participants of project and forum have declared that their awareness about open governance and its importance has increased and they have gained new practical knowledge and inspiration how to implement it in their communities. The participants also admitted that their motivation for community collaboration has been increased.
The video clip “How to make local life better with open governance”
The main activities concentrated on the concrete OGP action plans of municipalities that were prepared in cooperation with their local community. New activities were then implemented by municipalities and CSO-s, their results were assessed and new recommendations made for new actions guaranteeing this way the sustainability of local actions.
For the establishment of the action plans, workshops were held in the following municipalities:
- October 2014 – workshop in Keila City
- October 2014 – workshop in Järva-Jaani Parish
- October 2014 – workshop in Mäksa Parish
- November 2014 – workshop in Rõuge Parish
- November 2014 – workshop in Viljandi City
- November 2014 – workshop in Haljala Parish
- March 2015 – workshop s in Saue Parish
- May 2015 – workshop in Tartu City: How to improve the power of the city of Tartu and the community collaboration?
- October 2016 – workshop in Rõuge (second): How to improve communication between the local power and community?
In addition to that, the following events took place:
- The opening seminar on the 5thof June, 2014
- Workshop on OGP in National Conference of Cities and municipalities 2015
- Forum of the local communities and municipalities “Let’s make local authority Local!”, 20th November 2015
The best cooperation practices in the Estonian municipalities